Nursing Homes

Helping a loved one move into a nursing home is one of the most difficult decisions a person may make. Knowing where to look for the best possible care can be confusing. McKnight’s Senior Living and Care Directory can help lead you in the right direction and find a facility that best suits your family’s needs.

Memory Care homes – Is this the right option for your loved one?

Why choose a nursing home?

Providing extensive care to a loved one who is unable to care for himself or herself isn’t always easy. Fortunately, nursing homes offer inclusive, 24-hour monitoring and care from qualified registered nurses. Your loved one would receive assistance with daily needs, such as eating, bathing, dressing, nutrition, exercise, and medical treatment.

In addition, nursing homes offer:

Cost and financing nursing home care

The cost of nursing home care depends on how long your loved one will stay. If he or she is recovering from an injury or illness and has been transferred from a hospital, then the overall cost would be less for this type of short-term stay compared with a long-term stay.

Other factors, such as the location of the facility, the room size, and whether the room is private or semi-private, affect the cost of nursing home care.

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the average cost of long-term nursing home care in 2016 was:

$225 per day ($6,844 per month) for a semi-private room

$253 per day ($7,698 per month) for a private room

Short-term stays often are covered by Medicare benefits at full cost coverage for 20 days. For the following eight days, Medicare would pay 80 percent of the cost. If you or your loved one is subscribed to a Medicare Supplement Insurance plan, then the remaining 20 percent would be covered during those eight days. Medicare is only intended for patients recovering from injuries or illness and does not cover long-term care.

Unlike Medicare, Medicaid covers a broader spectrum of nursing home care – paying for approximately 45 percent to 65 percent of nursing home costs. To be eligible for Medicaid, you must meet specific income requirements. If the patient/resident is qualified, then Medicaid would cover the full cost of nursing home care, but only at approved facilities.

Find a nursing home near you

You know your loved one best. 

We know senior living – and we’ve built the most comprehensive resource available to help you find the right place.

McKnight’s Senior Living has been the top, trusted resource for long-term care providers nationwide for many years. Our directory is funded purely by participating facilities at absolutely no charge to families.

Our mission is to empower families to find the best available care for their loved ones.